Skip to content
Claims, Oaths and Marriage


To be considered valid, some official documents require a person to be sworn in before signing them. For this purpose, it may be necessary to use the services of a commissioner of oaths who has power to administer an oath by a person when required or authorized by law.

The city provides an administration of oaths service for many official documents, such as:

  • a solemn declaration;
  • a certificate of life;
  • a letter of invitation – entry visa;
  • a consent letter for children travelling abroad;
  • a certificate of residence.
  • The person wishing to make an affidavit must:

    1. make an appointment in one of the following ways:
      1. By email
        By sending us a message at:
      2. By phone
        You can contact us by phone at: 450 698-3000
        Monday to Thursday: 8.30 a.m. to noon and 1.15 p.m. to 5.00 p.m.
        Friday: 8.30 a.m. to noon
    1. go to City Hall on the agreed date and time;
    2. provide proof of your identity with two forms of identity documents showing your signature, including one form with your photo and address (examples of accepted documents: driver’s license, health insurance card, passport, citizenship or permanent resident card, etc.);
    3. sign the completed document in the presence of the commissioner.
  • 5 $ per oath

    1. The commissioner of oaths is not required to verify the accuracy of the content of any declaration made by the person taking the oath. The person taking the oath, who is also referred to as the affiant, is responsible for the content of the document to which he or she is attesting.
    2. Only documents in French or English are accepted.
    3. The commissioner of oaths can refuse to administer oath if he or she notes that:
      • the document is not drawn up in the prescribed form or is visibly incorrect;
      • The person taking the oath does not appear to be in full possession of his or her faculties or does not appear able to express his or her wishes.
    4. The commissioner of oaths does not produce any document and can only certify documents or attest that a copy of a document is true to the original since he or she is not appointed to perform this task.
    5. The commissioner of oaths may never act as guarantor for passport applications. However, he or she can swear in a person who needs an affidavit for a passport application.
    6. Châteauguay commissioner of oaths may ask the resident to contact a notary, lawyer or external commissioner of oaths for certain documents.
    7. The city reserves the right to refuse any request.

The Ville de Châteauguay website is not compatible with Internet Explorer 11 and earlier. For the optimal browsing experience, please update your browser using the free download options for Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome.