A historical narrative of the Model School, produced in collaboration with the Société du Musée du Grand Châteauguay.
At the end of the 19th century, the public school board wanted to improve elementary school studies with model schools, which served as a sort of village school. While one class provided elementary education to the youngest boys and girls, a second class offered more extensive primary-level education for boys only. The girls attended convent. The École Modèle de Châteauguay opened in 1915, replacing the old presbytery. This was the beginning of lay teaching in Châteauguay.
From the beginning, Louis-Philippe Paré (1895–1974) was the head teacher at the school. At that time, the school was made up of one class that included students from Grade 1 to Grade 4 and a second class for boys in Grade 5 to Grade 9. This second class was taught by Paré, who strove to develop the academic skills of his students and encouraged graduates to continue their studies. He eventually added Grade 10 and, later, Grade 11.
He also taught recreational activities: he demonstrated drawing, music theory and singing, accompanied his students on the violin and organized softball and hockey matches. Paré taught in Châteauguay until 1933. He left the memory of a great pedagogue who loved children and a man dedicated to the beautiful and the good. Hundreds of residents of Châteauguay benefited from his teaching. In tribute, the comprehensive school was named after him in 1969.
A few dates
Construction of the Model School.
Louise-Philippe Paré is named head teacher of the school (Grades 5 to 11), assisted by Béatrice Dumouchel for the younger class.
Cécile Bourdon becomes the teacher for the younger class.
Emma Mallette begins her career as the teacher for the younger class, a position she will hold for over 30 years.
Retirement of Louis-Philippe Paré. Hervé Samson takes his place.
The Model School is sold by the school board to a private owner.
Acquisition of the school by Ville de Châteauguay-Centre, which holds its council meetings there in the 1960s and 1970s.
The school becomes a ceramic workshop: Le Art et Mic.
Building acquired by Ville de Châteauguay. A variety of community organizations hold their activities there.
Restoration of the brick facade of the Model School, maintaining the details (patterns above the windows, the oeil-de-boeuf and the cross on the north side).