Skip to content
Permits and Zoning

Permits – Residential

We have created simplified information sheets for the most common permits, to make your life easier. They are classified by category.

These information sheets specify which types of work require a permit or certificate. The city asks for these documents primarily to ensure that building standards are met and that the work carried out is compliant.

If you are wondering whether a permit is required, please see the Permit Assistant for answers to your questions.

Either way, if you cannot find the information you are looking for or if you need further details, please contact us.

Most common permits

Answers to your questions

  • A construction permit allows us to:

    • Ensure that the construction meets the standards in effect in the municipality in terms of zoning, safety, architecture, construction quality and environmental protection.
    • Inform the Régie du bâtiment du Québec about all permits granted by the municipality.
    • Inform the Commission de la construction du Québec and Revenu Québec about work carried out. This allows the government to identify construction sites and check licences and permit, which contribute to tax equity and consumer protection by ensuring that the work is in compliance with all laws and regulations.
    • Review your municipal and school taxes if a major extension is added, which is a benefit for resale, because the price asked will be justified by the higher municipal evaluation.
    • Protect you in case of insurance claims, as you can prove that the damage was not caused by deficiencies in the work.
    • Avoid having your extension or renovation demolished if it does not comply with municipal regulations.
  • Work carried out without a permit may not meet the minimum standards of the Building Code, which could affect the quality of the construction and compromise your safety and that of your neighbours.

    Anyone who undertakes work without the required permits or authorizations may be fined from $350 to $4,000, so it is in your interests to check first! Furthermore, work that does not meet the regulatory requirements will have to be demolished.

    A permit and an “after-the-fact” dispensation cost more than the regular price. Lawsuits may also be instituted to ensure standards are met.

  • The permit must be displayed on the property or building where the work is being done so it is visible from the street. It must be kept for the entire duration of the work.

  • A PIIA is an urban planning by-law that can be used to protect the historical or heritage character of certain areas or to ensure the harmonious integration of new buildings.

    A PIIA is a discretionary tool, which means it is up to the municipal council to agree to or reject the application, based on a recommendation from the urban planning committee. A PIIA file is analyzed on the basis of pre-determined criteria or objectives that may include the exterior appearance of the building, the landscaping or any other factor deemed relevant for the area in question.

    What are the practical consequences of a PIIA for my permit application?

    In most cases, the PIIA is only related to the construction of a new building or exterior renovations. Permit applications for interior renovations are generally processed using the normal procedure.

    When the planned work is subject to a PIIA, additional information is often required to complete the application. We may need a sample of the materials or an architectural rendering in colour showing the changes that will be made. When the file is complete, it will be presented to the urban planning committee, which will analyze the application on the basis of the established criteria for that zone. After the analysis, the committee will give its recommendation to the municipal council, which will make the final decision concerning whether to accept or reject the application.

    Since an application subject to a PIIA must be analyzed by an inspector and then presented to the urban planning committee and the council, additional processing time may be required for the permit. We therefore recommend that anyone who intends to do work on a property subject to a PIIA should file their application at least six weeks before the planned start date.

    How can I find out whether my property is subject to a PIIA?

    The areas subject to PIIAs are generally those with significant heritage or architectural value. If you are uncertain, want to know whether your property is subject to a PIIA or need more information about the procedure and timelines, please contact us.

  • A minor variance is an exception authorizing or officially approving work that does not meet certain provisions of the zoning by-laws.

    What types of things may call for a minor variance application?

    A minor variance application may concern certain zoning provisions, such as:

    • The minimum distance between a construction, building or structure and a property line or another construction, building or structure.
    • The area, width or depth of a principal building.
    • The type of exterior cladding.
    • The area of a sign.
    • The area, width or depth of a plot of land.
    • The area or height of an accessory building.
    • The width of a piece of land that will be occupied by a single-family dwelling.
    • The length of the part of an irregularly shaped property that will serve as access to the public road.

    Under what conditions can a minor variance be granted?

    A minor variance can be granted if the following conditions are met:

    • Applying the provision that is the subject of the minor variance application would materially prejudice the applicant.
    • The requested variance would not prevent the owners of neighbouring properties from enjoying their property rights.

    How can I apply for a minor variance?

    The owner can apply by contact us in one of the following ways:

    • By sending an email to :

    • By calling :

      450 698-3000

      From Monday to Thursday, 8:30 a.m. to noon and 1:15 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
      Friday, 8:30 a.m. to noon

    • You can come to the reception desk at City Hall located at 5 Boulevard D’Youville .

      From Monday to Thursday, 8:30 a.m. to noon and 1:15 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
      Friday, 8:30 a.m. to noon

    How will my application be processed?

    1. The Division des permis will analyze your application and report to the Comité consultatif en urbanisme (CCU).
    2. The CCU, which is made up primarily of members of municipal council, will analyze the application and make a recommendation to the municipal council.
    3. The city clerk will publish a notice, in compliance with the minor variance by-law, describing the minor variance requested.
    4. Then, at a council meeting, the council will table a resolution to approve or reject the application.
    5. If the application is approved, the Division des permis will issue a construction permit to the owner to do the work in question.

Permit information and assistance

Do I need a permit? How do I get a permit?

The Ville de Châteauguay website is not compatible with Internet Explorer 11 and earlier. For the optimal browsing experience, please update your browser using the free download options for Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome.