Service de police de Châteauguay
Protect and Serve
Some residents require a certificate of good conduct for a job or for involvement in certain organizations.
Three types of background checks can be made through police databanks:
- Criminal background check for working with vulnerable groups (children, seniors, people with disabilities, etc.), also called an absence of impediment check.
- Criminal background check for laws and by-laws in effect in Québec.
- Criminal record check for civilian purposes.
There are two ways to proceed, depending on the kind of check required.
1. Background check for people working with vulnerable groups
These applications must be made through an organization or association that has signed a screening agreement with the Service de police. No applications from individuals can be accepted.
2. Other types of checks
Anyone who wants a certificate of good conduct should:
- Go to the police station ;
- Prove their identity using valid ID, including one photo ID and one with a complete address. Examples of acceptable ID:
- Driver’s licence
- Health care card
- Citizenship or permanent resident card, etc.
There are fees for each type of background check.