Service de police de Châteauguay
Protect and Serve
Every year, many seniors fall victim to one form of abuse or another. Elder abuse is when a single or repeated action or a lack of appropriate action, intentional or otherwise, occurs in a relationship where there should be trust, and this causes harm or distress in an elderly person.
There are seven forms of abuse:
- Psychological abuse
- Physical abuse
- Sexual abuse
- Material or financial abuse
- Violation of rights
- Organizational abuse
Abuse has many effects that can be disastrous for the victim’s physical and mental health.
In case of emergency, dial 911.
If you are the victim of abuse:
- Talk to someone you trust.
- Talk to your doctor or a resource person at the CLSC.
If you witness abuse:
- Talk to a care worker who can guide you.
- Arrange to talk to the victim alone and find out how they feel about the situation.
- Contact the person regularly until the situation is resolved.
For more information
Ligne aide abus aînés
1 888 489-2287 (ABUS)